Yes, it's true! You can buy wood stove pellets from hardware stores (usually a seasonal item) and use it as kitty litter. The pellets are compressed from saw dust, often pine or cedar natural scent. Upon contact with liquid the pellets dissolve into saw dust. The poop stays on the surface.
The pellets are excellent for absorbing odours and you only need a small amount in the litter tray (a couple of layers at the bottom). I've switched to the pellets and can't believe how the smell of cat urine has disappeared!
You can buy a forty pound bag of pellets for less than $5 and it will last a one-cat household about three months. A hardware store salesperson recently told me that 60% of wood pellets sold are for actual wood stoves...the other 40% are purchased by cat owners! PROS Cheap! More natural (some city green bins will accept litter if in this form) Odour-absorbing No more kitty litter trail across your floors (dust-free)
CONS Seasonal item Must clean litter frequently (the poop, especially)
You can mix the pellets with a bit of regular litter to ease them into it. I didn't do this though...I just switched over to the pellets on a Sunday and watched my kitty like a hawk to ensure she used the litter box as per usual.
These dog treats are vet approved, inexpensive to make, and taste most delicious to dogs because they're made with love!
3 small jars of baby food in your dogs favourite flavour
2/3 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup dry skim milk powder
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine baby food with wheat germ and skim milk powder. Mix well. Drop by teaspoon or tablespoon onto cookie sheet. Adjust the size of treats depending on what your dog will like. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes. The end result will be cookie-shaped treats that are soft and chewy. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Your dog will love you even more!
Tip: make sure the baby food you use doesn't have onions or garlic high on the list of ingredients. Most dogs are intolerant to those ingredients. These make a great gift for the dog owners in your life!
Store-bought Dog Treats = $10 - $30 / month Frugalista Version = $5 / 30 cookies